Fire, Theft or General Claims


In the event of fire damage you should discuss with the Fire Brigade what services are available for temporary protection of buildings and contents. If arson is suspected police should be notified immediately.  Obtain from  both the Police and Fire Brigade their Event or Report Number if possible and the identity of the attending police  and senior fire brigade offices and their respective station.

Theft (or malicious damage)

Theft or malicious damage claims should be reported to the police immediately.  Obtain from them their Event number and the identity of the attending police and their station. If there is damage to your premises that affects security you should have emergency repairs done immediately to ensure the premises are lockable.

 All Claims

  • Repair or Replacement quote for the lost or damaged items.
  • For contents claims, insurers will need proof of ownership for your goods, ie. original purchase invoice, credit card statement showing purchase, photos, valuations, etc.
  • Any other documents or information to support your claim. (Note: Insurers may request further information depending on the circumstances of your claim.)
  • Please note that Loss Management International provides claims preparation services for most classes of general insurance.